Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hospital


I have been having back pain for about 5 days (I thought it was sciatica) and have been miserable, so finally called the doctor yesterday to see what I could take to make the pain go away. When I spoke to the nurse, she told me the doctor wanted me to go to the hospital for a non-stress test. I was immediately worried and was home alone without the car. I called Jimmy and he didn't answer his phone, so called my Grandma to come pick me up and take me over. The wait was awfully long while they were getting the room ready, and when they finally called my name to go in, we had been there for an hour and a half. I laid down on the bed, and they strapped the fetal monitor to my stomach and began with all of the questions. It turns out that I had a high fever of 103 which I didn't realize and had a kidney infection. The nurse called the doctor to see if she would let me go home with oral medication or if she wanted to admit me, she wanted to admit me. I wasn't very happy, but knew I needed to get better quickly. The poor baby's heartbeat was up to 180, I felt so bad. The nurse I had was awesome though, she hooked me up to an IV right away and gave me some vicodin for the pain and fever. She also gave me the choice of whether or not to wear a hospital gown, which I happily declined. Jimmy and Nicholas came to visit me for a few hours and Nicholas seemed okay. He did look for me when they stopped at home to pick up some clothes for me, but he was fine when visiting me at the hospital. When the nurses changed shifts, my new nurse asked if they could put a mom who had had a c-section with her baby in the room with me, and I told her I'd prefer to have my own room and that I needed sleep. So, they moved me to a smaller room and moved two new mommies together into my old room. When Jimmy and Nicholas left, I was hoping to finally get some sleep, but no such luck. The nurses came in to do the next set of tests and hooked me back up to the monitors including the annoying electronic IV machine, that for whatever reason seemed to go off all night. My fever had spiked again and they had to give me more pain meds. They finally left me alone completely at 1am and I went to sleep. At 4am, I woke up with pain in my arm, and called the nurse to come look at it. The IV fluid had leaked into my arm tissue and my arm and hand were so swollen it hurt. She had to take the IV out and put it in my other arm. I was lucky to get another hour's sleep after that, and was exhausted. The doctor came to visit later that morning and said I could go home if I wanted to. My fever seemed to have gone down and I could go home with oral antibiotics. I was so happy! My grandma was able to take me home, and I showered and took a much needed nap. Hopefully the next time I have to see the hospital is to have the baby. Only 9 more weeks to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment